- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add bananas and milk; mix just until combined. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the creamed mixture; beat for 2 minutes.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into batter. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and salt; beat until smooth. Spread over cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 15 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
"Best cake ever made - never a piece left over. Super moist"
"This cake won the prize in this house! I have a particular husband and 3 kids 5 and under. This cake is one of just a few that my kids ate the frosting AND the cake part! The beaten egg whites give it more fluff so it's not so dense and heavy. Best banana cake recipe I've found! My husband's exact words. ..... It's deeeeeeeelicious!"
"This cake has good banana flavor, but is super super dense. I was hoping for something a little lighter. The frosting is tasty, but a little thick."
"This was just what I was looking for to use up some ripe bananas! The texture is dense, kind of like banana bread, but really tasty, and the recipe for the icing makes more than enough, so if it is your preference for less icing, maybe reduce it or save part of it for something else. YUM!"
"This is a great recipe. Nice flavors. Easy to make. Yes, the frosting is different than other frostings I have made (no milk), but it is surprisingly tasty. The tang of the cream cheese balances out the sugar. I did not find I had to use any cream or milk like others did. I used a hand mixer and it beat the cream cheese, butter and sugar to a nice, creamy spreadable frosting. Perhaps I would use only 3/4 of the cream cheese, less butter and 3 cups of xxx sugar next time because I found it made too much frosting. Hard to stay away from the bowl for little tastes :)."
"I thought the cake would be a bit lighter with the whipped egg whites. Other than that, it was quite delicious."
"It was good the day I made it but by the next day when all the flavors had had a chance to mingle- it was absolutely delicious!"