Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add bananas and milk; mix just until combined. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the creamed mixture; beat for 2 minutes.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into batter. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and salt; beat until smooth. Spread over cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 15 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Sort By :
"This is a great recipe. Nice flavors. Easy to make. Yes, the frosting is different than other frostings I have made (no milk), but it is surprisingly tasty. The tang of the cream cheese balances out the sugar. I did not find I had to use any cream or milk like others did. I used a hand mixer and it beat the cream cheese, butter and sugar to a nice, creamy spreadable frosting. Perhaps I would use only 3/4 of the cream cheese, less butter and 3 cups of xxx sugar next time because I found it made too much frosting. Hard to stay away from the bowl for little tastes :)."
"I thought the cake would be a bit lighter with the whipped egg whites. Other than that, it was quite delicious."
"It was good the day I made it but by the next day when all the flavors had had a chance to mingle- it was absolutely delicious!"
"Made this for a friend's annual Fourth of July celebration and it was a huge hit. Very moist cake, delicious frosting. And the frosting recipe makes enough for a good covering of the cake. Great way to use those over-ripe bananas that no one will eat!"
"I had been looking for "the" banana cake recipe, so have tried a few. This one is it! It's also very easy to cut the ingredients in half to make an 8x8 cake. It might be the altitude where we live, but I found the cake needed 45 minutes to bake. Very moist and lovely texture."