As a mother of three sons, I know that sweets are a staple in my kitchen! I buy lots of ripe bananas on sale and freeze them with this cake in mind. I’m often asked to bring it to family picnics and dinners.—Bonnie Krause, Irvona, Pennsylvania
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add bananas and milk; mix just until combined. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the creamed mixture; beat for 2 minutes.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into batter. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and salt; beat until smooth. Spread over cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Banana Cake in Country February/March 2010, p51
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review