In the South, everyone loves three things: bacon, cheese and grits! After playing around with this recipe, I took it to my first family party as a newlywed and it was a huge hit. This recipe has become a family tradition that will hopefully be passed down for generations. —Melissa Rogers, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Featured In: 13x9 Brunch Recipes
- 6 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups quick-cooking grits
- 12 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed (about 2-1/3 cups)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Add water, stock, garlic powder and pepper to bacon drippings; bring to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, 5-7 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
Add process cheese and butter; stir until melted. Stir in milk. Slowly stir in eggs until blended. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with bacon and shredded cheese. Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until edges are golden brown and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove casserole from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake grits as directed, increasing time to 50-60 minutes or until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Baked Two-Cheese & Bacon Grits in Freezer Meals Bookazine 2013, p17
Reviews for Baked Two-Cheese & Bacon Grits
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 29, 2017
"Delicious!! Will make this again very soon!!"