- 6 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups quick-cooking grits
- 12 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed (about 2-1/3 cups)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Add water, stock, garlic powder and pepper to bacon drippings; bring to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, 5-7 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
Add process cheese and butter; stir until melted. Stir in milk. Slowly stir in eggs until blended. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with bacon and shredded cheese. Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until edges are golden brown and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove casserole from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake grits as directed, increasing time to 50-60 minutes or until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forBaked Two-Cheese & Bacon Grits
"Didn't change a thing. I will make this again it was very good even for my picky eater."
"Haven't made this yet but plan to. Since I will neither purchase nor use consume Velveeta in anything, I guess I'll have to substitute an easy-melting cheese. Plus I'll be using regular grits, as I always do. Hope this turns out well!"
"Delicious!! Will make this again very soon!!"