- 1 package (20 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 3 cups small fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 pound Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook tortellini according to package directions, adding broccoli during the last 2 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon in pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add garlic to drippings in pan; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in flour, basil, salt and pepper until blended; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
Stir in 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and lemon juice. Add tortellini mixture and bacon; toss to combine. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until heated through and broccoli is tender.
Freeze option: Sprinkle remaining cheeses over unbaked casserole. Cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Bacon Tortellini Bake
"Great flavor in this dish! It was a big hit with the entire family. This is now a regular on my menu."
"Everyone in my family loved this! Will definitely make this again. Super awesome for potlucks, football gatherings and everyday dinner!"
"Tasted very good. Will make this one again."
"This dish is quite tasty. I will eliminate the cheese on top the next time I make it though. It was a little much."