Gruyere cheese, bacon, sweet onions and herbs take smashed potatoes to a whole new level of amazing. This loaded side dish is so rich and satisfying, it could almost be eaten on its own! — Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
Recommended: Top 10 Bacon Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 3 large sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3-1/2 pounds medium red potatoes, halved
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 10 slices Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyere or white cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup butter over medium-high heat. Add onions, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 40-50 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally and stirring in thyme during last 5 minutes.
- Place potatoes in a 6-qt stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain; return to pan. Add milk and remaining butter, salt and pepper. Coarsely mash potatoes with a masher, leaving small chunks. Stir in bacon and onions; sprinkle with cheese. Let stand, covered, until cheese melts. If desired, sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 16 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Bacon-Gruyere Smashed Potatoes in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2017, p25