Stilton, Bacon & Garlic Smashed Potatoes
Bold, savory flavor from bacon, Stilton cheese and fresh garlic take mashed potatoes to a whole new level. This side dish is so rich and satisfying, it could be eaten as an entree! —Jamie Brown-Miller, Napa, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 pounds small red potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup Stilton cheese
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut stem ends off unpeeled garlic cloves. Place cloves on a piece of foil. Drizzle with oil; wrap in foil. Bake until cloves are soft, 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Unwrap garlic cloves; cool 10 minutes. Squeeze garlic from skins. Mash with a fork.
- Drain potatoes; return to pan. Coarsely mash potatoes, gradually adding butter, cream cheese, garlic and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Stir in Stilton cheese, bacon, 2 tablespoons parsley, pepper and salt. Sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 292 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 433mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Garlic-Bacon-Stilton Smashed Potatoes in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.