Autumn Surprise Pie Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 5 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 2 cups sliced peeled ripe pears
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 egg white
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine milk and vinegar; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough into two balls, one slightly larger than the other. On a lightly floured surface, roll larger ball to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Coat pie plate with cooking spray; transfer pastry to plate.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, pears and raisins. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; add to fruit mixture and toss. Sprinkle with extract; toss well. Spoon into crust.
- Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Brush lattice with egg white; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30-35 minutes longer or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Autumn Surprise Pie(2)
Sort By :
We love this pie! It's tastes wonderful and is different from the standard apple pie. I swapped dried cranberries for the raisins though.
The crust for this pie is delicious, and I will definitely save the recipe. I will not likely use the same filling - the apples and pears are a different consistency (one ends up a little crunchier than the other), and it is too spicy for my taste. I prefer a simple cinnamon-sugar combo for this type of pie.
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Desserts >
- Apple Pie >
- Apple Pie Recipes >
- Apple Pie Recipes with Fresh Apples >
- Apple Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Fruit Pie Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Desserts >
- Healthy Desserts >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Homemade Pie Crust >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >