Autumn Tree Cake
You can decorate this special cake any way you like for Halloween or the colorful autumn months. —Marie Parker, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package butter recipe golden cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- Orange food coloring, optional
- 5 to 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 cup crushed chocolate wafers (about 8 wafers)
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Assorted candy and chocolate leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, orange juice, butter and eggs; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, butter, if desired, food coloring and enough orange juice to achieve desired consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Lightly press wafer crumbs onto sides of cake.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Transfer to a pastry bag or a food-safe plastic bag; cut a small hole in the tip of bag. Pipe a tree on top of cake. Decorate as desired with candy and chocolate leaves.