- 2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons fat-free milk, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, 2 cups milk, garlic and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. With a slotted spoon, remove potatoes to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; stir into hot milk mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir in cheddar cheese until melted. Pour over potatoes; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Combine wheat germ and oil; sprinkle over top.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until lightly browned and heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Au Gratin Red Potatoes in Light & Tasty April/May 2003, p6
Reviews for Au Gratin Red Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 17, 2012
"Very very good. The only things I did different was that I used 1% milk and lowfat 2% cheddar and only 1/4 tsp. of oil for the wheat germ. It was plenty enough."