The original recipe for this wonderful egg dish called for sausage, but fresh asparagus is tasty—and healthier, too! I serve this easy,elegant dish with a salad and mini pecan rolls.—Amy Grover, Salem, Massachusetts
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 6 bread slices, crust removed and cubed
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add asparagus; boil, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, combine the asparagus, milk, bread cubes, eggs, cheese and salt. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for 5 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus Strata in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p258
Reviews for Asparagus Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review