For a quick and easy make-ahead breakfast, do the prep work the night before. Next morning, just pop it in the oven. This casserole version of quiche is so hearty and delicious. —Alla Gray, St. Thomas, Pennsylvania
Recommended: 50 Hearty Breakfast Casseroles
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups cubed Italian or French bread (about 6 ounces)
- 1-1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup cubed deli ham (1/2 inch)
- 1 cup cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients until blended. Stir in bread, 1 cup cheese, ham and asparagus. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 325°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 40-50 minutes longer or until puffed, golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Freeze option: After assembling, cover and freeze strata. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 325°. Bake strata as directed, increasing time as necessary for a knife inserted in the center to come out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus & Ham Strata in Simple & Delicious April/May 2016