- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup sherry or additional beef broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups julienned carrots
- 1 cup sliced bok choy
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- Chive blossoms, optional
- In a large saucepan, brown meat in oil on all sides; drain. Add the water, broth, sherry, soy sauce, onions, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in the mushrooms, carrots and bok choy; cover and simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions.
- Divide rice among six soup bowls, 3/4 cup in each; top each with 1 cup of soup. Garnish with chive blossoms if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Asian Vegetable-Beef Soup
Sort By :
I made this recipe and my wife, who is not a big Asian food fan, and I loved it. I did put in a little more water while it was simmering.
Dr. Wayne G, Arizona
Very good. nice flavor. It disappeared quickly. It took a while to cook, but easy prep. now, what do I do with the rest of the bok choy?
This recipe has an excellent flavor! It's also quite filling with the rice. It's a keeper!!
Awesome asian flavor-my family loved it! Will make again!
This soup is AWESOME, have made it twice now and everyone loves it and wants recipe !!! Love it, it is different from other vegetable soups. Will become a standby recipe at our house :)