I HAVE a large collection of recipes with a Southwest flavor. Served with either pasta or rice, this is one of my husband's favorites. The moist, flavorful chicken suits any occasion, plus it can be prepared for any number of guests. -Carolyn Deming, Miami, Arizona
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- In a skillet, brown chicken on both sides in 2 tablespoons of oil. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion in remaining oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, celery, water, olives, garlic powder, oregano, salt if desired and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Return chicken to pan. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add mushrooms; simmer 15 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Arizona Chicken in Reminisce July/August 1998, p45
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Arizona Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review