- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 slices American or cheddar cheese, halved diagonally
- 2 slices Swiss cheese, halved diagonally
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Lettuce leaves, sliced tomato and onion, cooked bacon, ketchup and mustard, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 6 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.
- During the last minute of cooking, top each patty with two triangles of American cheese and one triangle of Swiss cheese. Serve on buns with the lettuce, tomato, onion, bacon, ketchup and mustard if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a medium red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Santa Margherita Chianti Classico Reserva Italy 2009. Initial tastes of fruits and spice move to herbal notes for a long smooth finish. Buy now and get 3 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for All-American Hamburgers
Sort By :
Fantastic and simple recipe. I added a little bit of liquid smoke, to really give it that smokey flavor. PERFECTO! Great recipe.
I used Skyline HOT chili sauce and these turned out great, with a little heat/kick.
This was excellent, very juicy... Will leave out the onions when fixing for a crowd since some people seem to really hate onions. Will saute onions and have on the side. Am fixing for a crowd for Super Bowl 46.
We just had these for a quick lunch after church, very yummy! Everyone enjoyed them.
Yum yum! We are currently living out of the country and these were like a yummy tast of home! We topped them with toasty rolls, tomatoe, cheddar cheese, lettuce and ketchup! We had potatoe salad and sauteed zucchini to top it off!