- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg white, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and egg white. In another bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients. Shape dough into 1-1/2-in. balls; roll in cinnamon-sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes. As they bake, cookies will puff up, then flatten. Cool. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forWhole Wheat Snickerdoodles
"An excellent cookie!! We all enjoyed these very much, much better then my recipe that used cream of tartar."
"I often substitute some whole wheat flour for AP flour when I'm baking quick breads and muffins. In addition, I often add black chia seed and flaxseed meal. I was excited to see this recipe in November 2017's issue. I made them this evening and, unlike the recipe states, they DO NOT flatten. Considering that this recipe calls for two sticks of butter, I'll stick with King Arthur Flour's buttery snickerdoodle recipe. It's far superior."
"The best snickerdoodles I have ever eaten! So soft, yet chewy. A great way to use the whole wheat flour from my native state of Kansas! Thank you for the recipe, Jana."
"I have been making these since they first came out in the print edition in 1993. What appealed to me was the lack of cream of tartar, which I find leaves a metallic taste in my mouth. The egg white pulls it together beautifully. Soft, delicious. You definitely must try them!"
"Great cookie. I'm always looking for recipes that use whole wheat flour. This is a keeper. Also, I used two whole eggs instead of one and a white and they turned out find."
"Have made these over and over. My friend's kids, visiting from England, loved them so much, I keep sending them a batch whenever I get a chance."
"I think we have a new favorite cookie! I used 2 3/4 cups of wheat pastry flour. They are soft and yummy."
"I make these cookies at least every other week-at 138 cal for 2 cookies I'm okay with these in Phase III of the South Beach diet. I made them for work and had to post the recipe, I had so many requests."
"wanted to give these a bump up!!! They are so good! A very soft and flavorful cookie! :)"