Whole Wheat Biscuits
This quick and easy recipe adds a special touch to everyday meals. See if you don't get a lot of compliments when you serve these biscuits fresh from the oven.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makesabout 1 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients until a ball forms.
- Turn onto a floured surface, knead 5-6 times. Roll to 1/2-in. thickness; brush with butter. Cut with a 2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 176 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Whole Wheat Biscuits in Country August/September 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.