Whole Wheat Biscuits
This quick and easy recipe adds a special touch to everyday meals. See if you don't get a lot of compliments when you serve these biscuits fresh from the oven.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makesabout 1 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients until a ball forms.
- Turn onto a floured surface, knead 5-6 times. Roll to 1/2-in. thickness; brush with butter. Cut with a 2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 176 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Whole Wheat Biscuits in Country August/September 1997