The ingredient list may seem long for my saucy pork, but most of these items are common things you’ll already have in your kitchen. Plus, once the sauce is mixed up, the slow cooker does the rest and you can focus on other things. I think the liquid smoke is what gives the barbecue its authentic taste!
Recommended: Our Favorite 4th of July Party Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- In a small bowl, mix the first 12 ingredients. Place pork roast and onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add sauce mixture. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until pork is tender.
- Remove roast and onion. Cool pork slightly; discard onion. Meanwhile, skim fat from sauce. If desired, transfer sauce to a small saucepan; bring to a boil and cook to thicken slightly.
- Shred pork with two forks. Return pork and sauce to slow cooker; heat through. Serve on buns. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Whiskey Barbecue Pork in Taste of Home Recipes Across America 2013, p137