Whiskey Cheddar Burgers
This juicy cheeseburger has big flavors to satisfy even the heartiest appetites. It always impresses at our cookouts. —Amber Nicholson, Winooski, Vermont
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 8 onion rolls or hamburger buns, split
- Optional toppings: lettuce leaves, sliced tomato, cheddar cheese slices and barbecue sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into eight 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- On a greased grill, cook burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve burgers on rolls with toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Place patties on a plastic wrap-lined baking sheet; wrap and freeze until firm. Remove from pan and transfer to a resealable plastic freezer bag; return to freezer. To use, grill frozen patties as directed, increasing time as necessary for a thermometer to read 160°.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 370 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 654mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Jack's Giant Garlic Cheddar Burgers in Simple & Delicious August/September 2014