Waffled Monte Cristos
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 4 slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 4 slices process American cheese (2/3 ounce each)
- 2 thin slices deli turkey (1/2 ounce each)
- 2 slices Swiss cheese (3/4 ounce each)
- 2 thin slices deli ham (1/2 ounce each)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- In a shallow bowl, combine the egg, milk, sugar and orange zest. Dip bread into egg mixture. Place on a preheated waffle maker; sprinkle each slice of bread with pecans. Bake according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.
- Place an American cheese slice on two bread slices; layer with turkey, Swiss cheese, ham and remaining American cheese. Top with remaining bread; butter outsides of sandwiches.
- Toast sandwiches in a skillet for 1-2 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted. Dust with confectioners' sugar; serve with jam.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 611 calories, 28g fat (14g saturated fat), 177mg cholesterol, 1241mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Aug 8, 2011
I feed 18 people breakfast. I made the sandwiches ahead and then baked them at 350* for about 20 minutes to melt the cheese. Rave reviews from everyone and it was so easy.
May 29, 2011
My husband and I loved these sandwiches! We ate them with blackberry jam instead of raspberry and it was excellent. We make these every Sunday for lunch.
Nov 11, 2010
French toast marries grilled cheese. This is very sweet and tasty. A nice change on our dinner table that kids enjoyed too. I just grilled it rather than getting out the waffle iron.
Nov 9, 2010
We apologize for any confusion with this recipe. To clarify, all 4 slices of bread are dipped in the egg mixture and cooked in the waffle iron. Then, 2 of them are layered with the meat and cheese and topped with the remaining bread. After they're assembled, the outsides are spread with butter and they're toasted in a skillet to heat them through and melt the cheese.Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Nov 7, 2010
I'm also confused by the instructions for the bread: are they first dipped in egg batter and then grilled ... and THEN buttered? (either before or after adding the meats/cheese layers) It sounds like a delicious recipe, but I'm not fully understanding the instructions as it relates to the bread.
Nov 7, 2010
This was great!
Nov 4, 2010
REad the directions....first you dip two pieces of bread in a combo, and then fry it. Then you dip two pieces of bread and fill with ham, cheese, etc. and fry it...........???
Nov 3, 2010
It is high inn calories, so I'll only have it on special occasions. It is really, really delicious.
Mar 19, 2009
this is still high calorie, but oh....so yummy!