- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- Fresh strawberries and whipped cream
- Sprinkle marshmallows evenly into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine strawberries and gelatin powder; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Pour batter over the marshmallows. Spoon strawberry mixture evenly over batter. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Garnish with strawberries and whipped cream. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forUpside-Down Strawberry Shortcake
"Love this recipe! I have been making it for years......"
"I loved this recipe. I made this for Easter and everyone loved it. This is one of my favorites.I followed the exact directions on the recipe."
"followed this recipe exactly to the letter and it did not come out good at all. i dont know what i did wrong here. really upset"
"Simple and turns out great"
"Great Birthday cake"
"Great, easy and tasty but REALLY sweet."
"Wonderful flavor. So much better that anything coming for a box"