Turkey Drumstick Dinner
I discovered this recipe a long time ago and love it since it uses tasty economical turkey drumsticks. Our family and friends enjoy this savory meat and potatoes meal. The flavorful sauce turns plain drumsticks into a feast. —Alice Balliet, Kane, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 2-1/4 hours
- 4 turkey drumsticks (12 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 large potatoes, peeled, quartered and cooked
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a Dutch oven, brown drumsticks in batches in oil and butter over medium heat; remove from pan. Add tomatoes, onion, bouillon and seasonings; increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Return turkey to pan, turning to coat with sauce.
- Cover and bake in oven 2 hours, basting with cooking liquid once or twice. Add potatoes and zucchini. Cover and bake 15-20 minutes or until turkey and zucchini are tender. Remove drumsticks and vegetables to a serving dish and keep warm.
- Combine the cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into tomato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Spoon over drumsticks and vegetables. Top with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 887 calories, 31g fat (9g saturated fat), 180mg cholesterol, 1684mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 9g fiber), 67g protein.
Originally published as Turkey Drumstick Dinner in Taste of Home December/January 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.