Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, thyme and rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Dash pepper
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1 tablespoon oil, salt, sugar, garlic powder, herbs, pepper and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape into a 13-in. x 9-in. rectangle; place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. With fingertips, make several dimples over top of dough.
- Brush dough with remaining oil; arrange tomatoes over the top. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Freeze option: Freeze cooled focaccia squares in freezer containers, separating layers with waxed paper. To use, reheat squares on a baking sheet in a preheated 400° oven until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 112 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 320mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Dec 13, 2015
Very good recipe. Good with a little marinara sauce to dip it in.
Mar 26, 2012
I have made this numerous times and each time everyone has loved it. I have even added red onions, spinach, sliced tomatoes and feta cheese for a different variety. Great recipe.
Aug 7, 2011
This recipe is wonderful! I make it all the time for my husband and he eats almost the entire thing himself. It does take a little extra time to make but its so worth it!!! Its one of my all time favorites!
Jul 5, 2011
Love this recipe! Turns out great everytime. Also, different cheeses and minced garlic can be added before baking for garlic lovers.
May 14, 2011
May 11, 2011
My daughter and I make this and it's easy and wonderful.
Mar 30, 2011
I made this with my 8 year old daughter and it was FANTASTIC!
Mar 26, 2011
Yummy and easy to do. Husband and kids loved it.
Mar 14, 2011
I made this the other night and it was a hit! My husband and five children could not get enough. It was so delicious and the aroma that filled the kitchen as it baked was heavenly. There wasn't a crumb left--next time I double this!! I served it with the slower cooker stew--Fabulous!!
Mar 10, 2011
Tomato-herb focaccia tastes wonderful. Although it is a lot of work, it is worth the taste. I am serving this tonight along with "Forgotten Minestrone". Perfect for a cold, rainy day like today!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.