After adding my own special touches to a basic foccacia recipe, including sun-dried tomatoes, olives and roasted sweet red peppers, the results were simply delectable. The flavorful, chewy loaf makes a wonderful accompaniment to nearly any meal. —Dee Froemel, Hayward, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
Makes1 loaf (8 wedges)
- 1-1/8 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/3 to 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives, drained
- 5 Greek olives, sliced
- 5 sliced green olives with pimientos, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon shredded Romano cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and 1 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. Stir in tomatoes, peppers, olives and parsley.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 50 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Shape into a 9-in. circle on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 25 minutes. With fingertips, make several dimples over top of dough. Brush with oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt and cheeses.
- Bake at 400° for 14-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 wedge: 118 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 418mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Foccacia Feast in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012