Muffuletta Olive Salad
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
Makes16 servings (1/4 cup each)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 cups green olives with pimientos, halved
- 1 cup coarsely chopped giardiniera
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pickled beets
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, halved
- 1/3 cup roasted sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- In a large bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients. Add the remaining ingredients; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least eight hours, stirring occasionally. If desired, serve with toasted baguette slices.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 99 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 311mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein.
Feb 28, 2017
I've had many Mufalettas, but none of them include beets. The beets give a sweetness that just doesn't work. Recommend omitting them.
Mar 5, 2015
Very good. Omitting beets is a must. They throw off the texture in this recipe. Yes adding salami, ham, mortedella and cheese is a must.
Feb 15, 2015
Good recipe. In our house we make it without the beets and capers, and add carrots for a touch of sweetness.
Jul 20, 2013
I served this again as a salad. I added cooked pasta, mozzarella cubes, salami, green peppers. Excellent!
Jul 17, 2013
I didn't have the beets or the capers but used everything else in the recipe.EXCELLENT!! I think this would be good with pasta and maybe cooked meat.
Apr 25, 2013
This very close to the New Orleans muffuletta olive salad, howerver; I recommend deleting the beets and using more olives; both black and green, but not all Greek olives (though I love them too), they are not traditional. This makes a really good sandwich and with a few alterations I will make it again and again. Also love it with ham, chicken and 'burgers.