I love haystacks and wanted to make a fun Tex-Mex version for my family. Adding Panko crumbs and cheese to the hash browns before cooking gives them a wonderful golden brown color and crisp texture. —Donna-Marie Ryan, Topsfield, Massachusetts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 3 thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Tex-Mex seasoning, divided
- 1 package (3-1/2 cups) refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 cooked bacon strips, coarsely chopped
- Finely chopped green onions, optional
- Combine sour cream, green onions, sun-dried tomatoes, cilantro, and 1/2 teaspoon Tex-Mex seasoning; set aside.
- Squeeze hash brown potatoes dry with paper towel to remove excess liquid. In a large bowl, combine potatoes, bread crumbs, cheese, salt and remaining Tex-Mex seasoning.
- On an electric griddle, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Drop potato mixture by 2/3 cupfuls into oil; press to flatten slightly. Fry, adding oil as needed, until golden brown on each side and crisp, 5-7 minutes. Drain on paper towels; keep warm.
- On same griddle, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Break eggs, one at a time, onto griddle. Reduce heat; cook until whites are set and yolks have begun to thicken. For over easy, flip eggs; cook to desired doneness.
- To assemble, top each potato patty with an egg, salsa, bacon and sour cream mixture. If desired, sprinkle with green onions. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tex-Mex Breakfast Haystacks in Taste of Home April/May 2018
Reviews forTex-Mex Breakfast Haystacks
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 26, 2018
"I love the look of this dish and can’t wait to make it! Yum!"