Whenever my family goes camping (which is a lot!), this wonderful filling breakfast really gets the day going. Everyone who's tried this "Anderson Family Special" agrees that it's the best.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 package (26 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) SPAM luncheon meat or 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, fry potatoes in oil for 10 minutes. Add green pepper, onion and garlic; continue to cook for 25 minutes or until potatoes are browned and vegetables are tender. Stir in luncheon meat; heat through. Cover and remove from the heat. In another greased skillet, combine eggs. salt and pepper. Cook and stir gently until eggs are set. Stir into potato mixture. Top with cheese; cover for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 409 calories, 28g fat (11g saturated fat), 211mg cholesterol, 935mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Breakfast Mess in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook