Tangerine Chocolate Semifreddo
When I wanted a new frozen treat for my family, I came up with this citrusy, chocolaty version of classic Italian semifreddo. For an elegant presentation on special occasions, top each serving with whipped cream, a tangerine section and baking cocoa. —Claire Cruce, Atlanta, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + freezing
- 8 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated tangerine peel
- 1 tablespoon tangerine juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Sweetened whipped cream and baking cocoa
- In top of a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water, combine egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, tangerine peel, juice and salt. Beat on medium speed until mixture is thick, frothy and holds a ribbon and a thermometer reads 160°. Remove from heat; whisk in melted chocolate and vanilla. Quickly transfer to a bowl; place in ice water and refrigerate 15 minutes or until completely cool, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into cooled chocolate mixture. Pour into six freezer-safe dessert glasses or dishes. Freeze until firm, 4 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, top with sweetened whipped cream and dust with cocoa. Serve immediately.