- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, seasoned salt, dried oregano and parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon each pepper and crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- In a large saucepan, saute celery in butter until tender. Stir in broth, water and bouillon. Add potatoes, sweet potato, turkey ham and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Combine flour and milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Yield: 11 servings.
Reviews forSweet Potato Chowder
"Love this recipe and so does everyone else that easts it!"
"I have made this soup alot. Friends ask for the recipe. I found that you need to cut the potatoes a little larger and put in at the end, otherwise they become mushy.I cut the crushed red pepper to 1/8 tsp. This is a keeper recipe. Yummy!"
"This has been a winter staple in our house since it was first published! We always add several more stalks of celery and use fresh onion instead of the dried minced onion. Also, due to a dairy allergy in our family, we now thicken it with rice milk instead of regular milk. It can have a bit of a kick for the kids, so you may want to be careful with the crushed red pepper flakes (we omit depending on which kids will be eating it that night!)"