Transform this pizza-flavored pasta sauce into something spooky by adding some black food coloring to the pasta water.—Robert Smith, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 4 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 3 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 9 ounces uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/2 teaspoon black paste food coloring, optional
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 fresh mozzarella cheese pearls
- 12 slices pimiento-stuffed olives
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef, sausage and onion over medium heat, crumbling meat, until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain.
- Stir in next six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 20-25 minutes. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions, adding, if desired, 1/2 teaspoon black paste food coloring to water. Drain pasta.
- Top each serving of spaghetti with sauce, Parmesan, two cheese pearls and two olive slices to resemble eyes.
- Freeze option: Do not cook or add pasta. Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Place meat mixture in a large skillet; heat through, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Proceed as directed.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 400 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 943mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 8g fiber), 27g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.