- 2 tablespoons butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until moistened. Fold in the rhubarb. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Add sugar and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Serve with cake. Yield: 9 servings (1-1/4 cups sauce).
Reviews forSpecial Rhubarb Cake
"Very moist and I did use about 3 cups of rhubarb, otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. This turned out extremely well for myself who is not a baker. Vanilla sauce is devine !!I love the fact that it's a 9 x 9 pan, suitable for a smaller gathering."
"Awesome. It doesn't get better than this."
"This was one of the best rhubard cakes my husband said he has ever had...it will be added to one of our favorites for sure ...It was so moist and flavorfull and so easy to make. We like a little more tartness in our cake so I am going to add another 1/2 cup of rhubarb the next time I bake it. Otherwise, it was perfect!!!"
"excellent cake, moist tasty and the sauce was to die for"
"This is a keeper. I have made it over and over. quick to make,take it anywhere, all will love it"
"Excellent! Thanks for sharing! I cut back a tad on the sugar and ended up putting in all of the rhubarb (approx 3 cups) that I chopped. Found it to be very moist and delicious!"
"This is good. I love the sauce. cake is a little dry but very tasty."
"I made this cake about a month ago to try it out and was very impressed. So I decided to make it again today but instead of rhubarb I used fresh cranberries and I added the zest of 2 oranges to the sauce. It was a success!!"
"This has been a favorite family recipe for years now. Thank you for sharing."