Homemade Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2-1/4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and butter. Spread into a greased 10-in cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Layer with rhubarb; sprinkle with sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into creamed mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Gently spoon over rhubarb.
- Bake at 325° until cake springs back when lightly touched, 40-50 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. If desired, serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 240 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 254mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 14, 2017
A lot of steps but definitely worth the extra work. If the top is too sweet, try using more rhubarb. I like 3 cups. If you add some frozen strawberries or raspberries in addition, defrost a bit and drain so you don't have too much liquid.
Apr 26, 2015
Made this in a 10'' springform pan - lined with parchment paper which you NEED otherwise it'll leak! Awesome taste - the rhubarb was caramelized perfectly and cake was the perfect compliment.
Jul 6, 2014
One of my families favorite desserts! Whenever I take it to a gathering, I am always asked for the recipe.
Jul 10, 2013
I made this for Memorial Day weekend. My friends said it is definately a "keeper"
Jun 22, 2013
Excellent, caramelized rhubarb on top is wonderful:) outstanding with a cup of good quality coffee/ espresso
Jul 3, 2008
Did not think the topping would be so carmalized/crunchy...I was not a fan but my family loved it. -good topping if you have a sweet tooth