Homemade Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2-1/4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and butter. Spread into a greased 10-in cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Layer with rhubarb; sprinkle with sugar. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into creamed mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Gently spoon over rhubarb.
- 4. Bake at 325° until cake springs back when lightly touched, 40-50 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. If desired, serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
1 piece: 240 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 254mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
May 14, 2017
A lot of steps but definitely worth the extra work. If the top is too sweet, try using more rhubarb. I like 3 cups. If you add some frozen strawberries or raspberries in addition, defrost a bit and drain so you don't have too much liquid.
Apr 26, 2015
Made this in a 10'' springform pan - lined with parchment paper which you NEED otherwise it'll leak! Awesome taste - the rhubarb was caramelized perfectly and cake was the perfect compliment.
Jul 6, 2014
One of my families favorite desserts! Whenever I take it to a gathering, I am always asked for the recipe.
Dec 31, 1969
I made this for Memorial Day weekend. My friends said it is definately a "keeper"
Jun 22, 2013
Excellent, caramelized rhubarb on top is wonderful:) outstanding with a cup of good quality coffee/ espresso
Jul 3, 2008
Did not think the topping would be so carmalized/crunchy...I was not a fan but my family loved it. -good topping if you have a sweet tooth