Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Place rhubarb in a greased 10-in. cast-iron or other heavy ovenproof skillet. Combine sugar, flour and nutmeg; sprinkle over rhubarb. Drizzle with butter; set aside. For batter, in a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until blended. Beat in the egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt. Gradually add to egg mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Spread over rhubarb mixture. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 minutes. Loosen edges immediately and invert onto a serving dish. Serve warm. If desired, serve with whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 316 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Sep 5, 2019
This turned out great! I should have used the 4 c of rhubarb as was suggested and I did use a tsp of vanilla. But all in all the recipe is great and it will be one of my favorite 'rhubarb' recipes. One more thing, it does take longer to bake, mine took about 50 min but came out of the oven and dish perfectly!
Jun 29, 2019
This cake is so delicious!! And relatively easy to make- mine came out looking just like the video, which is quite an accomplishment for me. My rhubarb was more green than red, but still worked just fine. I also used a circular cake pan instead of the skillet, which also worked really well. Added some vanilla extract to the cake batter to give it a little extra flavor- so tasty! If you're a fan of rhubarb, this recipe is a keeper!
May 28, 2019
The taste was good, but it definitely needs to bake longer...at least 10 more minutes. I baked it for 35min. like the recipe suggested. The top was very light golden...and toothpick came out clean in 2 places. However, it was a total gooey mess in the middle so we could only eat the edges.
May 20, 2019
I don't have a skillet and made it in a 9x13 instead. I varied the recipe by This is recipe making 50% more of the rhubarb part but used only half the amount of sugar the recipe calls for. I used 1 recipe of the cake. It makes a higher rhubarb to cake ratio and fills the larger pan nicely.
May 11, 2019
I made this a few days ago. I ate the first piece while still warm. It was amazing! This recipe is a keeper.
May 9, 2019
I would definitely use less sugar
Apr 30, 2019
was wondering if you could use a bundt pan for this upside down rhubarb cake, please advise
Jun 12, 2018
One of the best home made desserts I've ever had. Wondering if I can make it in a regular cake tin. Also, I found although the toothpick came out clean, there was a bit of raw batter mixed in with the rhubarb. Will bake it for a longer time. Delicious and perfect balance of sweet and tart.
Jun 8, 2018
We have LOTS of rhubarb in our garden, so I'm always on the lookout for recipes. This one is easy and very good. I made two cakes the same day - one using nutmeg as called for in the recipe. The second cake I used cinnamon in place of the nutmeg. I prefer the one with cinnamon. I also increased the amount of rhubarb to 4 cups and used a 10-inch glass pie plate. That worked just fine.Also, I didn't alternate the flour mixture / milk. I dumped the milk into the sugar eggs - mixed it well and then stirred in the dry ingredients. (I do that with a lot of my recipes.)Thanks for a good, reliable recipe!
Jun 15, 2015
Just made this for the first time and loved it. Delicious! Only negative is that the cake part dried out pretty quickly (not that it lasted that long in this house!)