Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Place rhubarb in a greased 10-in. heavy oven-proof skillet. Combine sugar, flour and nutmeg; sprinkle over rhubarb. Drizzle with butter; set aside. For batter, in a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until blended. Beat in the egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt. Gradually add to egg mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Spread over rhubarb mixture. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Loosen edges immediately and invert onto a serving dish. Serve warm. Serve with whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 316 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 12, 2018
One of the best home made desserts I've ever had. Wondering if I can make it in a regular cake tin. Also, I found although the toothpick came out clean, there was a bit of raw batter mixed in with the rhubarb. Will bake it for a longer time. Delicious and perfect balance of sweet and tart.
Jun 8, 2018
We have LOTS of rhubarb in our garden, so I'm always on the lookout for recipes. This one is easy and very good. I made two cakes the same day - one using nutmeg as called for in the recipe. The second cake I used cinnamon in place of the nutmeg. I prefer the one with cinnamon. I also increased the amount of rhubarb to 4 cups and used a 10-inch glass pie plate. That worked just fine.Also, I didn't alternate the flour mixture / milk. I dumped the milk into the sugar eggs - mixed it well and then stirred in the dry ingredients. (I do that with a lot of my recipes.)Thanks for a good, reliable recipe!
Jun 15, 2015
Just made this for the first time and loved it. Delicious! Only negative is that the cake part dried out pretty quickly (not that it lasted that long in this house!)
May 12, 2014
This takes a little bit extra prep, but it's definitely a winner! It can be served warmed or chilled. I believe this recipe won 2nd place in a rhubarb contest in the April/May 2006 Taste of Home. Yummy!
Jul 17, 2011
Loved this recipe, made it many times.added 1 tbsp of powdered strawberry gelatin to the topping and about 1/4c. more rhubarb to fill my skillet, and replaced nutmeg with cinnamon, it took me 45 min. to bake, and it turned out wonderful. thanks for this great recipe.
May 22, 2011
The cake was not done even after the toothpick came out clean, and the rhubarb topping was too juicy, it did not thicken up after it came out of the oven until it was completely cool. Good flavor though. I just think the method needs some tweaking.
Jun 9, 2010
What a great, easy recipe. It was vary delicious. I had to bake it for 20 minutes longer then what the recipe called for.