Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Place rhubarb in a greased 10-in. cast-iron or other heavy ovenproof skillet. Combine sugar, flour and nutmeg; sprinkle over rhubarb. Drizzle with butter; set aside. For batter, in a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until blended. Beat in the egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt. Gradually add to egg mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Spread over rhubarb mixture. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Loosen edges immediately and invert onto a serving dish. Serve warm. If desired, serve with whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 316 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
May 25, 2020
I needed to use up last season's frozen chopped rhubarb. I did drain it some before I used it. Made 2 cakes, one with cup for cup gluten free flour. Both cake were moist and fluffy. The gluten free batter was thicker so I was sure it would be dense. Not so. The only problem I had was the rhubarb topping stuck in the cake pans. I scraped it off and put it back on the cake. Next time I will line the cake pans with parchment paper to see if that solves the problem. I also substituted cinnamon for nutmeg. I will definitely make this again.
May 18, 2020
Good. After reading reviews, I added 4 cups rhubarb and baked mine in 10" cast iron skillet for 50 minutes. Good texture, but after tasting, I think the next time I would leave out the nutmeg.
May 13, 2020
Loved this! Increased the rhubarb to 3 1/2 cups and because I am at high altitude, cut back a little on sugar and baked about 10 minutes longer..will definitely make again!
Apr 28, 2020
I did not like this recipe at all. Even with longer baking it still had raw cake batter in the centre. I did not like the addition of nutmeg with rhubarb. I wont be making this again.
Sep 5, 2019
This turned out great! I should have used the 4 c of rhubarb as was suggested and I did use a tsp of vanilla. But all in all the recipe is great and it will be one of my favorite 'rhubarb' recipes. One more thing, it does take longer to bake, mine took about 50 min but came out of the oven and dish perfectly!
Jun 29, 2019
This cake is so delicious!! And relatively easy to make- mine came out looking just like the video, which is quite an accomplishment for me. My rhubarb was more green than red, but still worked just fine. I also used a circular cake pan instead of the skillet, which also worked really well. Added some vanilla extract to the cake batter to give it a little extra flavor- so tasty! If you're a fan of rhubarb, this recipe is a keeper!
May 28, 2019
The taste was good, but it definitely needs to bake longer...at least 10 more minutes. I baked it for 35min. like the recipe suggested. The top was very light golden...and toothpick came out clean in 2 places. However, it was a total gooey mess in the middle so we could only eat the edges.
May 20, 2019
I don't have a skillet and made it in a 9x13 instead. I varied the recipe by This is recipe making 50% more of the rhubarb part but used only half the amount of sugar the recipe calls for. I used 1 recipe of the cake. It makes a higher rhubarb to cake ratio and fills the larger pan nicely.
May 11, 2019
I made this a few days ago. I ate the first piece while still warm. It was amazing! This recipe is a keeper.
May 9, 2019
I would definitely use less sugar