Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen corn (about 10 ounces), thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute pepper and onion 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in rice, spices and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients; cook, covered, until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 198 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 339mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 9, 2019
I made this recipe for a campout covered dish, reheated it in my 9 x 13 casserole crockpot, sprinkled it with cheddar cheese upon reheating, and it was a hit! Planning to include it in our family Mexican night buffet. Great side dish!! Will use it often
Mar 10, 2019
Wonderful recipe. My family loved it. Used rotel tomatoes with chilies and the kick was perfect. Will be making this again. This is my second review but needed to make it 5 stars.
Jun 25, 2018
It is simple and tastes great. I did what one other reviewer did and substituted the green chile tomatoes with the 4 oz can of mild green chiles with a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes along with amping up the cumin to 1 teaspoon. I sprinkled shredded cheddar cheese upon serving. I will be using this recipe often.
Apr 5, 2018
Very tasty and fast to make. I didn’t have frozen corn so used can corn instead & it worked out fine. I would def make this again. It makes a lot more than I thought it would. There are just 2 of us & we’ll have plenty for future meals
Jan 22, 2017
Great sidedish, amazing flavor and easy to make.
Mar 9, 2014
My son was eating this in a bowl by itself he enjoyed it that much. Went well with our chicken fajitas and jicama slaw with peanut recipes.
May 5, 2012
This rice is really tasty. The only thing I changed is I used a 15 oz. can of petite diced tomatoes and a 4 oz. can of mild chilies. It was easy and tasted great. I'll definitely be making this again. It was even better the next day. Enjoy!
Apr 26, 2012
It is easy to make and it tasted delicious.
Jan 13, 2009
Aug 6, 2008
I do most of cooking at our house. I find the "Nutrition Facts" very useful with my wife and daughter both on a diet.