Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 package (7 ounces) thin spaghetti, broken into thirds
- 6 small zucchini (about 1 pound), cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove beef and set aside. In the same skillet, combine the water, tomato sauce, chili powder, garlic powder, salt if desired and cumin; bring to a boil. Stir in spaghetti; return to a boil.
- Boil for 6 minutes.
- Add the zucchini. Cook 4-5 minutes longer or until spaghetti and zucchini are tender, stirring several times. Stir in beef and heat through. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 340 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 676mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jan 18, 2015
This recipe is quick, delicious and inexpensive. My whole family adores it. I like to add a little chopped green pepper, celery and onion to the ground beef or turkey, while it's browning. I also add a little sugar to the tomato sauce for flavor. The cheddar cheese is great, but my sister likes it with shredded mozzarella. So yummy! Been making it for years.
Jul 8, 2014
I followed the recipe exactly and it was quite good. I will definitely make it again. So glad I found another way to make spaghetti (my husband's favorite).
Jun 13, 2011
Nobody liked this. I am giving it a three-star instead of a two-star because I did have to substitute tomato paste & water for the tomato sauce. That may have changed the taste somewhat.
Jul 12, 2010
I did like this very much I liked having the zucchini for something different, but it is a little bland to me. It needs a bit more flavor. Next time I will add some more seasonings, but besides that it was good.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.