Southwestern Chicken & Lima Bean Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (1-1/2 pounds), skin removed
- 2 cups frozen lima beans
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Place the first five ingredients in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and dry seasonings; pour over top.
- Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 6-8 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Shred meat with two forks; return to slow cooker and heat through. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 312 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 614mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 8g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Apr 24, 2018
After reading the reviews, I decided to add Lipton onion soup mix, & (season to taste) a lot more seasoning to make it taste like a chili! With all the tweaks, it tasted really good:
Jan 13, 2018
This is great! I like shortcuts so I used frozen seasoning mix rather than a fresh onion and pepper and used garlic powder. I didn't have tomato paste, so I substituted a can of tomato sauce and skipped the salt. I used about 1 1/4 t. of garlic powder (more than the equivalent on the container) for more flavor. This is a new favorite.
Apr 10, 2017
Very good and easy to make (although it looks like more than 6 servings). All the ingredients went well together. I like it spicy so I added cayenne pepper. Will definitely make again!
Feb 19, 2017
If you don't like lima beans, make this without them. This was fantastic and it makes a lot for freezing for the future. It has a lot of the southwest flavor. Yum, yum, yum!!!
Jan 19, 2017
I really liked the sound of this - expected to really like it due to all the flavors. But, it was a little too bland for me. And I did taste it as I cooked and added some extra spices. but just didn't quite come together for me.
Oct 9, 2015
I made it exactly as the recipe stated I expected it to be very tasty, but it was very bland.
Mar 10, 2015
I didn't realLy care for the flavors in this at all. I am surprised - I really expected to love it. Also, the Worcestershire sauce spoiled the bright red color of the tomatoes. It was more of a muddy red and didn't look as appetizing as your photo. I'm going to freeze it because I don't have the heart to waste it, but I know it's not going to get eaten.
Dec 19, 2014
This was so delicious. My husband and I loved it. So easy to make and worth the wait!
Nov 8, 2014
I had never used fire roasted tomatoes before. This dish was delicious. The flavor was exceptional and it was a hearty stew. I'll pass this recipe on to my daughter.
Nov 8, 2014
Slow cookers, raw chicken, long holding time between 45 and 165 degrees all work together to spell potentially sick people. Think food safety please.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.