Southwest Tortilla Scramble
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 corn tortillas (6 inches), halved and cut into strips
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites, eggs and pepper. Stir in tortillas, spinach and cheese.
- Heat a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Pour in egg mixture; cook and stir until eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains. Top with salsa.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 195 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 217mg cholesterol, 391mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 21, 2019
I've made a version of this that my mom taught me many years ago that is very basic (eggs, corn tortillas, salt and pepper). One key difference is to fry the corn tortilla's in some butter first until they are a little browned and then add the egg mixture to the pan. This brings out the flavor of the tortilla and they won't be soggy.
Jan 5, 2015
Agreed. The torn corn tortilla added is not a good idea. Pretty basic recipe.
Nov 14, 2013
I omitted sustituted the egg whites and added 2 whole eggs. Tossed in some leftover peppers and onions. I wasn't thrilled with the cut up corn tortillas, not sure if I'll make this again.
Nov 4, 2013
Excellent! I made this for a friend visiting from England. I added just 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin seed and just a few small diced red and yellow pepper. So easy and quick.