- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen okra
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons dried savory
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, saute onion in oil for 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Serve immediately or transfer to freezer containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen soup: Thaw soup in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat until heated through. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forSouthern Vegetable Soup
"This was just OK..I think too tomato-y for me! So glad the okra's in there as I think that's the best part. Not a fan of the frozen mixed vegies. Don't think I'd make again. It wasn't horrible, just not to my liking."
"The blend of chilis and the chunky vegetables is just fantastic. Love this recipe!"
"This is a 5-star recipe. My mother was from Alabama and this reminds me of the soup she used to make.Vikatina"
"how do I find vegetable broth"
"i WANT TO KNOW FAT, CALORIE AND FIBER COUNT"
"I want to know the fat and colories in this soup"
"Wich you gave calorie and fat content."