The South in a Pot Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet pepper (any color), diced
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 4 cups chopped collard greens or chopped fresh spinach
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Cook and stir ground beef, crumbling meat, until no longer pink, 8-10 minutes. Add sweet potato, onion and pepper; saute until onion and pepper are slightly softened, 4-5 minutes.
- Add black-eyed peas, cumin, curry, salt and pepper; stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until sweet potato is almost tender, 15-18 minutes.
- Add greens; cook until tender, 15-18 minutes. If desired, add more cumin and curry.
- For slow cooker: In a 4- to 5-qt. slow cooker, crumble ground beef; add next eight ingredients. Pour in enough broth to reach desired consistency. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours. A half-hour before serving, skim off any fat; add greens.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 267 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 544mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jun 4, 2019
This is a nice hearty stew. I love the black-eyed peas and the kale. This is easy to put together and is supper filling!
Mar 12, 2019
Hands down one of the best soups I've had in a long time, I remixed it a bit and replaced black eyed peas with goya16 bean soup mix and replaced spinach with Kale and also replaced sweet potato with batata (spanish sweet potato)...I also tried different variations using shredded chicken or ground turkey or beef. Everyone loves it, thank you!
Apr 23, 2017
This was easy to throw together and very good.
Mar 12, 2017
Very good! Used spinach and ground turkey instead of beef.
Feb 18, 2017
I think I lived in the South during a previous life because I love all things Southern even though I was born & raised in the Pacific NW. Love this soup. I added some garlic and cayenne pepper plus an extra sweet potato. Used spinach since that is what I had on hand. Delish! This will be a fun recipe to play around with--like the cabbage suggestion.
Feb 7, 2017
This soup is delicious. The curry powder gives it a different taste without being overpowering. I added some sliced okra just to add a little more of the South.
Jan 30, 2017
Debbie you could use cabbage but I'd cut the quantity back. Cabbage isn't going to wilt down like the other greens.
Jan 29, 2017
Made this soup today. Excellent as is. Next time I will add an additional sweet potato. Thank you, Stephanie, for this recipe.
Jan 29, 2017
Question: Could cabbage be substituted? A member of my family cannot eat leafy green vegetables.
Jan 26, 2017
The soup was great. I substituted some pre-cooked turkey meatballs for the hamburger and used the slow cooker method described and we loved it. Thanks for the recipe.