Southern Green Beans with Apricots
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, chopped
- 1 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place beans and broth in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook, covered, 4-7 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender; drain.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan.
- Add apricots to drippings; cook and stir over medium heat until softened. Stir in vinegar, salt, garlic powder, pepper and beans; cook and stir 2-3 minutes longer or until beans are coated. Sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 149 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 464mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 3, 2017
Always looking for another way to serve green beans and I just found a new favorite. With green beans fresh out of the garden, this is a wonderful side dish!
May 14, 2016
Greatly enjoyed this side dish! The crunch of the al dente beans (that I cut instead of keeping whole), sweet & sour of the dried apricots, smokiness of the bacon, tartness of the vinegar and the combination of spices made this a palate pleasing recipe. It's definitely a keeper!