Green Beans with Pecans
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage or 1/4 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small heavy skillet, melt butter. Add pecans; cook over medium heat until toasted, about 4 minutes. Add syrup and salt; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until pecans are glossy. Spread on foil to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute shallots in butter until tender; stir in the flour, orange zest and cayenne. Add the remaining ingredients; cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover; cook and stir 4-5 minutes longer or until beans are crisp-tender. Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with pecans.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 192 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 195mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 5, 2014
Good recipe for green beans. Tasty.
Jan 4, 2011
I made this recipe for Christmas Eve and my family loved it. In fact, my brother-in-law (who cooks very little) wanted the recipe to make at his house.
Dec 28, 2010
Nice flavor, but way too many nuts, and the sauce was too thick..