- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups warm water
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup salsa, divided
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco
- In a small bowl, combine masa harina and salt; stir in water. Knead until mixture forms a ball. Divide dough into 16 portions; shape into balls and cover with plastic wrap.
- Working between two sheets of plastic wrap, press four balls into 3-1/2-in. circles. On an ungreased griddle, cook dough circles over medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes or until bottoms are lightly set. Turn and cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; quickly pinch edge of circles to form a 1/2-in. rim. Return to the griddle; cook 2 minutes longer or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks; cover. Repeat with remaining dough.
- In a small saucepan, combine chicken and 1/2 cup salsa. Cook over medium-low heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. In a large skillet, melt shortening. Cook sopes over medium-high heat for 2 minutes on each side or until crisp and lightly browned. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- To assemble, layer each sope with refried beans, chicken mixture and remaining salsa. Sprinkle with lettuce and queso fresco. Serve immediately. Yield: 16 servings.
"I enjoyed making this. I wanted to use up some masa I had purchased for another recipe and this seemed the perfect fit for the ingredients I had on hand. You could really put ANY filling and it would be good. I had trouble making my sopes look as symmetrical and sculpted as the ones in the photo, but I'm still working on it!"