Jewel-toned squares made by SueAnn Bunt of Painted Post, New York are softer than store-bought gumdrops.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + standing Cook: 10 min. + chilling
Makesabout 1 pound (64 pieces)
- 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 drops each red and green food coloring
- Additional sugar
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup water; let stand 5 minutes. In a small saucepan, bring sugar and remaining 3/4 cup water to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add gelatin mixture; simmer and stir over low heat until gelatin is completely dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in extract.
- Divide mixture between two bowls; tint one red and the other green with food coloring. Transfer each to a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan; cool completely. Refrigerate, covered, 3 hours or until firm.
- Loosen sides from pan with a knife; turn onto a sugared cutting board. Cut into 1/2-in. cubes; roll in additional sugar.
- Let stand, uncovered, at room temperature 3-4 hours or until all sides are dry, turning every hour.