My family loves palmiers from the bakery, so I created my own recipe. These have a Mideastern twist with the addition of rosewater, honey and a touch of cardamom. They are light and crisp, and a special treat for the holidays. —Deborah Hinojosa, Saratoga, California
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rosewater or water
- 1 cup chopped pistachios
- Place flours and salt in a food processor; pulse until blended. Add butter; pulse until butter is the size of peas. While pulsing, add ice water and lemon juice to form crumbs. Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times.
- Roll dough into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Starting with a shorter side, fold dough in half. Repeat rolling and folding. Wrap folded dough in plastic wrap; freeze 20 minutes.
- Roll dough into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Starting with a shorter side, fold dough into thirds, forming a 4x8-in. rectangle. Place folded dough with longer side facing you; repeat rolling and folding twice, always ending with a 4x8-in. rectangle. (If at any point the butter softens, chill after folding.) Wrap folded dough in plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small bowl, mix sugar, cinnamon and cardamom. In another bowl, mix butter, honey and rosewater. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; cut in half. Roll one half of the dough into a 12x10-in. rectangle. Brush with half of the butter mixture; sprinkle with half of each of the following: sugar mixture and pistachios.
- Starting with a long side, roll up the left and right sides toward the center, jelly-roll style, until rolls meet in the middle. Repeat with remaining dough, butter mixture, sugar mixture and pistachios. Refrigerate rolls 20 minutes or until firm enough to slice.
- Cut rolls crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Pistachio Palmiers with Rosewater and Cardamom in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016