Sopa de Tortilla
—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches), halved and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 dried pasilla chilies, stems removed, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 3/4 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh epazote or 1 teaspoon dried epazote
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Cubed avocado and lime wedges, optional
- In a blender, combine tomatoes and serrano pepper. Cover and process until smooth; set aside. In a large skillet, heat 1/2 cup oil over medium heat. Add tortilla strips; cook and stir until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove to paper towels; pat dry. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons oil in skillet. Add pasilla chilies; cook and stir for 1 minute or until lightly toasted. With a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in remaining oil until tender. Add tomato mixture; cook and stir over medium heat for 10 minutes or until very thick. Add the broth, corn, chicken and epazote; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in lime juice.
- Ladle soup into bowls; top with tortilla strips. Sprinkle with pasilla chilies. Garnish with avocado and lime if desired.
Editor’s Note: When handling peppers and chilies, disposable gloves are recommended. Avoid touching your face.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without avocado): 354 calories, 24g fat (2g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 1133mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Tortilla Soup in Taste of Home's Mexican Recipe Cards