Zesty Tortilla Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 10 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and sliced green onions, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the next 13 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Tear tortillas into bite-size pieces; add to soup. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes; let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish individual servings with cheese, sour cream and onions if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 267 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 966mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Oct 17, 2016
I have only had only eaten a soup like this one other time and that was 5 or 6 years ago so nothing really to compare it to. So, this soup is good will definitely make again. First time making recipes I always follow recipes as is. On this one the only thing I did not have on hand was lemon pepper. And I let everyone add the tortillas individually to there own bowls.
Nov 1, 2015
Very delicious. Very little prep work other than chopping onion and opening cans. Was not overly spicy but had a nice subtle zing. On the list to make again.
Mar 15, 2015
We have this soup about once a week. I use the exact recipe, but add black beans and a small can of corn. It's absolutely delicious and heats up nicely for leftovers.
Mar 5, 2015
Made this with chicken instead. Came out wonderful !!!!
Mar 1, 2015
It was raining all day and I didn't want to go out so I used what I had on hand for this soup and it turned out so delicious!There are only 2 of us so I halved the recipe. I diced a turkey tenderloin with herb and garlic seasoning and browned before putting in the soup pan. I used a can of diced tomatoes, a can of diced green chilis, an 8 oz can of tomato sauce, an 8 oz can of Mexican salsa. a diced jalapeno without the seeds, the onion, the beef broth,the seasonings, a couple of tsps. of beef bouillon granules and some leftover rice and black beans I found in the freezer. A few splashes of hot sauce and no water. It turned out great with just the right amount of heat for us. This is one of those recipes that lend itself to all kinds of modifications.
Feb 28, 2015
This was delicious and very easy to prepare! Will definitely make it again!
Feb 27, 2015
Good wintery soup
Feb 26, 2015
Really good and a total hit with my husband who usually turns up his nose at soup. I did brown the meat before sauteeing the onions and garlic and I used one can of Rotel with Habaneros as well as a can of Hunt diced tomatoes with jalapenos (we like it spicy at our house) and because of that, left out the hot sauce. Wonderful recipe and will certainly make it again.
Jan 31, 2008
Did add a little more chili powder but it was not overly spicy