Zesty Chicken Tortellini Soup
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 10 min. + freezing
Makes6 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- In a Dutch oven, bring chicken broth and beef broth to a boil; reduce heat. Add chicken and poach, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken; cool slightly.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion, soup mix, parsley and seasonings to broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Cool soup. Meanwhile, chop chicken. Add tortellini and chicken to soup. Transfer to freezer containers; freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through and tortellini are tender.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 310 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 1097mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 5, 2018
This was a perfect soup for the cold weather we are having. I absolutely loved the spice to this dish. The broth was so very tasty. In order to save time, I cut up the chicken before poaching in the liquid and added the vegetables after 15 minutes of poaching and then added the tortellini the last 5 minutes of cooking. It came out perfectly! I will be adding this to my regular menu.
Feb 21, 2016
I have lost track how many times I have made this-we absolutely love it. It has tons of flavor and a nice little kick. I start with a box of chicken broth and one of beef, and use rotisserie chicken, rather than taking the time to poach. I would suggest getting the larger tortellinis, we get ours in the refrigerator section at Costco. They really make the soup.
Jan 14, 2015
I followed the recipe except added fresh garlic rather than the powder as was suggested, but still this soup did not have the wow factor I look for; it just didn't work for us.
Jan 1, 2013
Tasted great! I think using fresh garlic would add better taste rather than adding garlic powder.
Nov 1, 2012
I thought this soup was great! Made it tonight, and my husband loved it too. Only changes I made were that I used 2 fresh garlic cloves instead of powder, and a cup of vegetable broth. Was very yummy!
Oct 11, 2012
We love this recipe. I omit the red pepper flakes for my kids' sakes and use Simply Organics French Onion Dip mix in place of the onion soup mix.
Aug 23, 2012
Nothing is more comforting than a hot bowl of homemade soup....This was easy and is very tasty. Mmm Mmm Good, as they say.
Aug 5, 2012
This will be a new family fav! Made it just the way instructions said - wouldn't change a thing.
Feb 26, 2012
thought it tasted gross
Feb 5, 2012
I found this recipe while sitting in the waiting room at the hospital and went home to see if I could find it online.I didn't really follow all of the directions because I doubled the recipe and added more veggies, used minced garlic, and added more red pepper flakes.All in all this recipe was wonderful and the stock itself was very tasty.