Zesty Italian Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 7 hours
Makes10 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1-1/2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the broth, beans, tomatoes, carrot, jalapeno, Italian seasoning and garlic.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until heated through. Just before serving, stir in macaroni.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 205 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 1034mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 28, 2014
Excellent recipe ! I've made this soooo many times we love it! we follow recipe as is. Superb!
Sep 27, 2013
This was tasty. I will reduce the amount of canned tomatoes next time and add some fresh ones. I just don't care for the taste of canned tomatoes. Otherwidse, this was a good recipe.
Jul 19, 2013
It has been so hot where we live so I've been trying not to turn on the oven. This was great for the crock pot and super easy. Made the house smell great while it was cooking and tasted delicious.
Jun 23, 2013
My husband really liked this soup. I'll make this again when the weather turns cold.
Nov 19, 2012
Feb 11, 2012
I pulled the jalapeno out after about two hours and served it with sour cream because I have a weak tongue. Our families' opinion is that the macaroni seemed to cut some spice too. Maybe I'll leave the jalapenos in for longer next time. Even good on a weak tongue.
Jan 5, 2012
I made this for our Christmas Eve dinner. My husband comes from an Italian family, and they LOVED it. Not bad for my first attempt at something "Italian" for our Christmas Eve dinner.
Oct 25, 2011
Excellent! Loved the "zip" to its taste. Had to use 2 10 oz cans of the diced tomatoes w/ green chilis b/c that was all I could find at the store. Also used turkey sausage. Yum!
Oct 25, 2011
need more more like this
Mar 12, 2011
This sounds like a strange combination of ingredients, but it is surprisingly good. I used ground beef in place of the sausage. My husband and I both like it. I will be making it again.