- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix cinnamon and remaining sugar. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in cinnamon sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake until light brown, 10-12 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
"Kids devoured these. I actually added cinnamon to the batter and also rolled the cookies in the cinnamon sugar. I did not get 30 cookies, more like 20. I would definitely double this recipe."
"I grew up with these! ALWAYS from scratch! My 10 yr old granddaughter & I make these a lot! Please don't change or 'tweek' These! They are perfect the way they are!"
"Great recipe. Had never eaten a Snickerdoodles before. Have to double it next time. THANKS VERY MUCH!!??"
"This is a great recipe-crusty on the outside, soft on the inside. I made the following adjustments: 3/4 c sugar (still plenty sweet), 1.5 T cinnamon, 1 t vanilla. My kids, who are anti-carb, anti-processed foods, anti-sugar, organic only request these every Christmas! LOL"
"Best Snickerdoodles! I tripled the batch!"
"Yum! These cookies were perfect. I doubled the recipe and I'm glad I did. I had 15 people for a 4th of July party and the doubled recipe made 40 cookies. Everyone raved and there were no leftovers. I did add 1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon salt (for doubled recipe), and refrigerated an hour befor baking. I also used 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and 3 tablespoons of sugar to roll the cookies in. I baked them at 375 for 10 minutes allowed them to form on the pan for 3 minutes and put them on wax paper to cool the rest of the way before placing them in a container. Super quick and easy recipe. I will be making these again ."
"AWESOME recipe!!!! crispy edges chewy center, my family loves them. Always have to make a double batch."
"Very moist and light. Flattening the cookies slightly with the back of a spoon helped them form more of a cookie shape while remaining soft. I found them sweeter than other snickerdoodles; I will probably decrease the sugar a bit next time to suit my tastes."