- 2-1/2 cups finely crushed gingersnaps (about 40 cookies)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 cups cold milk
- 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups whipped topping
- Additional whipped topping, optional
- In a large bowl, combine gingersnap crumbs and butter; press into a ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 325° for 10 minutes. Cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Spread over the crust. In another large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 1 minute. Add pumpkin and pie spice; whisk until well blended.
- Fold in whipped topping. Spread over the cream cheese layer. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Cut into squares; garnish with whipped topping if desired. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews forSnappy Pumpkin Dessert
"this recipe exactly def a zero star. i had to use 4 packages of vanilla pudding to make this not soupy. by the time i was done it tasted juat like vanilla pudding. this recipe needa a ton of adjustments. also u absolutely need to double the cream cheese mix otherwise u wont taste it."
"This recipe should call for either 2 large packages of pudding or 3 small packages. It's too runny with just the two small packages. I've made this for years but it took a couple of times to get the consistency right. I also double the cream cheese layer. Five stars when it's made like this. Only one star the way the recipe is written."
"<p>I followed this recipe and it was tasty but horrible presentation. The cream cheese layer was non-existent if using a 9 x 13 inch baking dish....such a thin layer. The next layer was very soupy and I thought it would set up.....but it didn't. I was so embarrassed at Thanksgiving. It was tasty but the measurements are all wrong. I would double the cream cheese layer....and 2 LARGE boxes of pudding might do the trick. I hate when this happens....what a waste!</p>"
"I added 1/2 cups ground toasted pecans to the crust mixture. I added 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice to the cream cheese mixture. It was very rich and delicious! Great recipe!"
"Love this!! My kids ask for this every fall. I've made it several times - works everytime. I have lightened it up with success by using lite cream cheese and lite whipped topping. I also use less butter in the gingersnaps."
"I made this for a church dinner and was disappointed in that it didn't set. Must have done something wrong in preparations..it looked nothing like the picture. Country Meemaw"
"I have made this evey year since this came out in Taste of Home magazine - probably 7 years - for Thanksgiving. Everyone I have served this to LOVE it and always ask me for the recipe. I used the recipe as submitted and have never had a problem getting it out of the pan as listed by the previous poster. I do usually make it a day ahead of time and keep it in the fridge. A definite keeper in my family!! I'm introducing this to new people for Christmas now!"
"this was very good. i used cinnamon graham crackers for crust instead of gingersnaps and spinkled chopped walnuts on top. wouldn't cut into bars had to scoop it out but this mixed it all together. took it to a church harvest dinner everyone loved it and asked for recipe. will make again."